Empathetic software developer with 5 years of experience hunting and fixing bugs in science, data, and open-source software.
Looking for full-time remote work in infrastructure, reliability, and other technical support roles.
University of British Columbia
Scientific Software Developer (August 2019–Present)
- Developed software to manage data from CHIME telescope (Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment).
- Wrote a stage using C++ for kotekan. It allowed a reader real-time access to streaming data in a shared memory region, decreasing the latency of applying corrections.
- Expanded a NumPy ndarray subclass written for MPI distributed arrays using Python 3.8.
- Set-up VictoriaMetrics for long-term storage of Prometheus metrics for housekeeping data, increasing the reliability of archiving of the data.
- On-call for 2 weeks every 2 months: responded to alerts, noted patterns in common problems, made steps towards addressing them, provided general sys-admin support, and aided less-technical colleagues.
Vital Images, Inc. (formerly Karos Health)
QA Software Developer (May 2017–June 2019)
- Contributed code to and debugged critical testing infrastructure for medical data delivery system built on Elasticsearch and Apache Cassandra.
- Built software environment to simulate hospital image workflow, with emphasis on realistic user behaviour and expectations using Python 2.7.
- Supported deployment engineering in resolving user issues and debugging production software.
- In addition to technical work, designed and conducted interviews and managed 6 junior coders.
Quebec Center for Biodiversity Science
- Conducted a combined 18 hours of workshops on advanced statistical methods (including generalised linear models and generalised additive models) to 75+ students in ecology.
Research Scientist (Apr 2012–Apr 2016)
- Created Python and R pipelines for bioinformatics and statistical methods for genetics research.
- Maintained and curated datasets of as many as 50K rows of biological and experimental data, using Python and manual scrubbing
- Reviewed and critiqued academic literature in computer science, experimental medicine, and molecular biology; presented summaries and commentary to peer group of researchers.
Open Source Projects
- Major contributor for open source TUI for tabular data with over 4.5K stars on Github.
- Triaged issues, fixed bugs, wrote documentation, and built packages for major distributions (Homebrew for Mac, Debian, PyPI).
- Set up a demo server in which users can ssh into to try out commandline tools.
- Built Docker images for each tool, and deployed them onto server.
12-week self-study program in NYC for programmers.
McGill University, Montreal Quebec (2013–2016)
Master of Science (Bioinformatics) '16
McGill University, Montreal Quebec (2009–2013)
Bachelor of Science (Computer Science and Biology) '13